كلية هانوفر الطبية العليا
قسم أمراض الجهاز الهضمي والكبد والغدد الصماء (229733)
Michael P. Manns
Specialized in: gastroenterology, hepatology, endocrinology
The Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology at the Hannover Medical School offers the full range of services in these medical fields. The department specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, liver, endocrine glands, metabolic disorders and diabetes mellitus. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Michael Manns.
Particular attention is paid to gastroenterological oncology, which treats tumors of the esophagus, stomach and intestines, neuroendocrine tumors, liver and bile duct tumors.
In addition, the department has effective methods for treating pituitary, thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal diseases, as well as male and female hypogonadism. The medical team of the department develops comprehensive treatment programs for each patient individually. During the treatment, it is possible to involve specialists in endocrine, abdominal, transplant surgery and radiation medicine.
The scope of the department's tasks also includes the diagnosis and treatment of congenital and acquired metabolic disorders. Most often, doctors prescribe drug therapy, develop the right diet, which will help improve the patient's condition.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Counseling, dietotherapy
- Ultrasound diagnostics
- Native sonography and color Doppler sonography
- Rectal endosonography
- Special examinations of the perianal area
- Contrast-enhanced ultrasound (also with the help of radiofrequency methods)
- Ultrasound-guided fine needle puncture biopsy
- Duplex sonography
- Ultrasound elastography
- Innovative methods of ultrasound diagnostics (3D, 4D techniques)
- Other examinations
- Diagnostic and interventional endoscopy
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography
- Percutaneous liver biopsy
- Transjugular liver biopsy
- Capsule endoscopy
- Functional diagnostics (intragastric pH-metry, esophageal manometry, anorectal manometry)
- Other methods
- Treatment of malignant tumors of the gastrointestinal tract, liver, endocrine glands
- Treatment of liver, kidney and spleen cysts
- Treatment of metabolic disorders
- Treatment of pathological fluid accumulations (abscesses, ascites, pleural effusion)
- Treatment of other diseases
- Since 2015, Clinical Director of the Helmholtz Center for Infectious Diseases (HZI), Braunschweig.
- Since 2015, Founding Director of the Center for Individual Infectious Medicine (CIIM), Hannover.
- 1997 - 1999 Medical Director of the Hannover Medical School.
- Since 1991, C4 Professor and Head of the Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology at the Hannover Medical School.
- 1987 - 1988 Research at the Keck Autoimmune Disease Center, Scripps Clinic and Research Foundation, Department of Basic and Clinical Research, California, USA.
- 1986 Professor (C2), Internal Medicine, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- 1985 - 1991 Senior Physician, Department of Internal Medicine I, University Hospital Mainz.
- 1985 Additional qualification in Gastroenterology.
- 1984 Medical Specialist in Internal Medicine.
- 1981 - 1985 Fellow of the Department of Internal Medicine I, University Hospital Mainz, German Academy of Naturalists Leopoldina.
- 1977 - 1981 Fellow of the Center for Internal Medicine, Charlottenburg Clinic, Free University of Berlin.
- 1977 Admission to medical practice.
- 1976 State Examination in Medicine, Doctor of Medicine.
- 1970 - 1976 Study of Medicine at the Universities of Vienna and Mainz.
Positions in the Research Societies and Committees (selected)
- 2016 - 2017 President of the United European Gastroenterology.
- Since 2015, Member of the Scientific Panel for Health, European Commission, Brussels.
- 2013 - 2014 Chairman of the German Society of Internal Medicine (DGIM).
- Since 2013, Chairman of the Boehringer Ingelheim Foundation.
- 2013 President of the German Association for the Study of the Liver (GASL).
- 2011 - 2015 Member of the European BioMed Alliance, Brussels, Belgium.
- Since 2011, Coordinator, TTU Hepatitis, German Center for the Study of Infectious Diseases (DZIF).
- Since 2008 Member of the Steering Committee of the Integrated Centers for the Treatment and Research in Transplant Medicine, German Federal Ministry of Education and Research.
- 2006 President of the German Society for Digestive and Metabolic Disorders.
- Since 1998, Member of the Scientific Advisory Council of the Robert Koch Institute, Berlin.
- 1998 - 2013 Member of the Supervisory Board of the University Hospital Erlangen.